The Hitching Post
Plated Dinner or Buffet?
I am asked this question quite a lot, and not only by brides but by those planning birthday and anniversary celebrations. There is no right (or wrong) answer, only what suits your preference and event style. Below I’ve laid out some pros and cons for both to help make your decision a little easier.
Plated Dinner – Typically for more formal events
• Food is served directly to the table making it easier on the elderly and those with children
• Guests are able to relax and have a more upscale dining experience
• Plated dinners make calculating the amount of food needed easier with portion control
• They can look more elegant with the full table setting already set
• You can choose to do an alternate drop (i.e. if your main options are chicken and beef, you alternate a beef and chicken being placed, so guests can swap if they didn’t want what they were served).
• Plated dinners can sometimes be out of the budget
• For a plated meal caterers need more kitchen space to prepare the meal
• Additional staff may be required to ensure timely collection of meal orders.
Buffet Dinner – These are great for the more casual events
• Oftentimes cheaper with no cost for wait staff
• Buffet’s offer a larger selection catering to different tastes
• Buffet’s are easier to plan for DIY events
• If not planned correctly you can run the risk of having too much food leftover or not enough food
• Buffet style must accommodate a larger area designated for the buffet tables, which some venues may not have
• Some guests may feel a buffet is tacky & not enjoy having to serve themselves, especially the older guests who are not accustomed to new trends
• You can still have the dinner plates placed at the tables so it looks pretty but then your guests have to take their plate with them to the buffet table
• Let’s face it, standing in line waiting to choose your meal can be awkward sometimes.
As I said – no right or wrong answer, only what will work best for you, your style and the venue you choose.
Sonya of Heavenly Weddings is an Adelaide-based wedding and event planner with 8 years’ experience, who was born organised (just ask her friends). She loves to exceed her clients’ expectations, making sure every event is flawless – right down to the last little detail.
05/05/2017 / Kit Densley